Tuesday 22 April 2014

Ready to go?



The end of STETS Spring School on Saturday was a moving occasion: the departing third year students planned and led the closing act of worship.  The conclusion of the service included the dedication and blessing of those students who are finishing the course in the next few weeks.  Next year, that departing group will include me, so following on from my last day at work a couple of weeks ago, I had the sense even at this point of moving onto another phase of my training and formation.




Having travelled home, I was with my own church in Tilehurst on Sunday and was able to celebrate Easter through two acts of worship, each very special in its own way.  At daybreak, a group gathered on the hillside above Streatley (in the Thames Valley, NW of Reading) to mark the beginning of Easter Day and recall the account of the disciples discovery of Jesus' empty tomb.  Following (two) breakfasts, worship at Tilehurst included Maddy's (our middle daughter) confirmation along with two other new church members, one of whom was baptised too.





Abbey Ruins, Reading
River Thames, west of Reading
After a family orientated day, thoughts then turned to final preparations for my trip to Ghana.  Having packed most things yesterday, I was able to spend some time strolling round the town centre in Reading this morning, reflecting on how different Winneba might be when I arrive there tomorrow. 

Firstly, looking at the weather forecast, it will be considerably warmer there (about 30C) and very humid for at least the next few days, compared to a somewhat cooler Reading today.  Secondly, in just a few photos, here's something of the character of Reading expressed in the River Thames, a snip of the Abbey Ruins which date back to the first settlement here, a park built in Victorian times and then Broad Street, pedestrianised in the mid-1990s when I first lived and worked here.  I'll try and get some photos of Winneba and post them in the next few days so that you can compare too.




Forbury Gardens, Reading

Broad Street, Reading

A chance conversation with the attendant at our local rail station also reminded me that there is a wider aspect of 'where I have come from.'  We shared a brief conversation about changes in the UK over the last generation or two and even talked about my birthplace in Sheffield, including the demise of primary industry there starting in the 1970-80s.

'Where I have come from' will be part of starting conversations in Ghana, and part of my study there will include engaging with people to find out something about their roots, how they live today and how they encounter God.  I am excited and intrigued about what I will discover.

Thanks again for reading, and some concluding prayer requests


  • Give thanks for, and celebrate the public affirmations of faith made on Sunday.
  • Continuing prayers for those involved with the ferry incident in S Korea.
  • Thanks for the opportunity I have to travel and for the support of family.
Patrick


No comments:

Post a Comment