Monday 28 April 2014

Overdressed or underdressed?

I was up before daylight yesterday (Sunday) so that I could be at the first service (0700) at Ebenezer Cathedral Church in Winneba; this was conducted in English by two local (lay) preachers, one of whom led worship and the second who preached.  My personal surprise of the day was that the order of service was heavily based on what I would say is a traditional style, the Book of Offices included at the back of the Methodist Hymn Book, not was I was expecting.  Nonetheless there was still plenty of music and singing in local style.

I wasn't able to hear the end of the sermon, as Joseph (my supervisor whilst I am here) and I left at about 0830 to travel to Kwanyako for a service to dedicate a new church, calling on two smaller Methodist chapels on the way.

The service of dedication was significant occasion, with two bishops present, together with members from other local Methodist churches gathered for this celebration.  Following the official cutting of the tape at the door, I (and several others who were close to the door) almost got run over in the rush to get into the building!  [There is brief report of this service at http://philemonbuabeng.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/kwanyako-methodist-church-celebrate.html)]


(Very small) part of the congregation gathering
before the dedication service at Kwanyako.

Music group & drumming

Outside the new church after the service.

With Cecilia, my host.
It is customary for student ministers
in Ghana to wear clerical attire
This really needs a video clip but I hope you get
some sense of the vitality of the worship
After the service which finished at lunchtime, there was a meal at the home of the local superintendent, following which I accompanied the bishop and a small group of others from the area to visit and pray with the local tribal chief in his home.  It was then time to travel back home, but we stopped off to view the piece of land which the church has recently acquired to see whether they can offer some practical social ministry by supporting a small group of individuals to farm and also encourage good agricultural practice.

At the end of a long day, John and I enjoyed walk around Winneba in the dark, complete with a lively conversation about the practice of leadership in the church: thought-provoking for me as a make the transition from leadership in a very different context at work.


























Back to the title of this entry, before I close: being careful about both the sun and mosquitoes, I have been careful to ensure that I am covered up where possible when out of doors.  However, to be smart for the occasion today, I ended up wearing dark colours, so I did feel somewhat overdressed.  However, that was nothing compared to some of the other ministers there in their regalia.

After a busy start to my trip, I am looking forward to a day off tomorrow (Monday).

Patrick


2 comments:

  1. Good to be following your journey a little Patrick. Sounds busy so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thanks David. I have had a full day off now which was welcome.

      Delete