Friday 18 April 2014

Holy week

For most of the last week I have been away on a residential element of my pre-ordination training.  With fellow students and staff from STETS, we have been staying at Dauntsey's School in Wiltshire, just on the edge of Salisbury Plain.  Everyone at home has been in my mind, but it has been a pleasure to be together in community for several days with others from across all years of the course.

The theme of our study throughout the week has been the Holy Spirit and her interaction with the world, the church and ourselves.  We have been exploring this topic through the contributions of several speakers, discussion groups and other activities including some craft work today.  I am sure that Jasmine will be surprised that I have painted a picture, moreover that it resembles what I set out for it to represent.

The focus of our worship through the week has been on the events leading up to Jesus' crucifixion, culminating on an extended period of silence during the day today.  The creative workshop ran in parallel to this, during which I took some photographs of three crosses.  Jesus was crucified with two others; these images represent the three victims, but also three different aspects of Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection: the nails which held him to the cross, the moment of his death when 'he gave up his spirit' and lastly his resurrection.






Looking ahead, by this time next week, I will have been in Ghana for two full days.  As I have been 'in community' here this week, it has struck me that I am leaving my home and its community for my trip.  I am curious what experiences that will provide, both in terms of that which I leave behind for a few weeks and secondly the community in Winneba in which I will stay.  Let's see.

Back home tomorrow for a few days before I fly out.

Happy Easter to you all.

Patrick

Prayer requests


  • For the STETS community as we complete our week together and in particular for the final year students as they complete their studies.
  • Recalling the events of Good Friday, for all those who are facing pain, suffering and desolation, not least those involved in the ferry accident in South Korea and those still waiting for news from the Malaysia airliner incident.
  • For all students as they conclude their Easter break, particularly those preparing for public exams.




No comments:

Post a Comment