Saturday 26 April 2014

Getting hotter

Today is definitely not a day for an Englishman to be out in the midday sun, so I am taking the opportunity of a quieter day to have a bit of rest and catch up with some study which I didn't complete before leaving the UK.

Yesterday started early: I travelled back to Accra with my host, Bishop John, to attend the funeral of a former Methodist District Chairman.  This was a significant occasion with several hundred attendees and lasted several hours.  The worship was both held in English and in the vernacular and although I didn't understand the latter in terms of words, it didn't take too long to feel a sense of its richness and vitality and the to start tapping my feet, joining in as best as I was able to with the tune.

Afterwards I was privileged to be welcomed by the Presiding Bishop of the Methodist Church in Ghana and also had a quick visit to the HQ in Accra.  John and I then made a few visits during the afternoon, including to the International Children's Conference with young Methodists from Ghana and her neighbouring countries, including Cote d'Ivoire, so I was unexpectedly able to practise some French.


Winneba Diocese group at International Children's Conference, Tema

The drive home took until 1930, at which time the outside temperature was still in excess of 30C, as it had been since about 0800.  After a simple but tasty meal of fish, maize & gravy (a spicy relish) eaten with fingers, it was time for a quick walk around town to see some of Winneba by night.

Today also started early, with a requiem/memorial service which started at 0600, followed by the blessing of three tombstones.  Not something I have been involved with before, but I was asked to read the citation for one family and join in the blessings of all the graves.  My contribution was in English, although much of the service was in the local dialect with English interspersed and sometimes overlapping.

I am planning to take the rest of the day easily: it's the first completely clear day since I arrived so it is very hot and sunny outside.  I also realised this morning that I've not really had much quiet time to myself since I departed for STETS Spring School two weeks ago.  Was it only two weeks, so much has happened in that time...?

Hope this finds you well

Kobina-Patrick

(the Kobina is in the local dialect and signifies the day on which I was born, Tuesday)



No comments:

Post a Comment