Monday 12 May 2014

Still here!

It has been a few days since I last posted, largely because I have been away from Winneba.  Wednesday to Sunday was the Annual Synod of the diocese which was held at Nyakrom, about an hour's drive away.  These few days have provided an opportunity to see the work the the Methodist Church in this region in a wider context, and I was able to listen to the discussions and debates with some interest, not least on the subject of social responsibility where there is much activity.

A personal highlight for me was to be asked to address the Synod during the official opening on Thursday morning.  This was a significant occasion not only for the church but also for the local community.  There were a number of guests including the local chief and also the MP, so not without a certain amount of trepidation on my part.  All went well, I am told.  Although English is the official language of the Synod (and Ghana in general), my short address was also translated afterwards.

It is fair to say that I was the subject of much interest over the five days; I lost count of the number of people who wanted to have their photograph taken with me. I've added a couple of pictures, firstly with Lillian who promised that she would dance with me during worship on Sunday (a promise which she took up, I don't have a picture but I suspect that others may have!) and then a photograph of me with the bishop and his wife.
With Lillian


With the Bishop and his wife
after the closing service at Synod



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Back to Winneba

After the busy time at Synod, it was good to return to Winneba for what will be my last few days here.  On Wednesday, I will travel with Stephen Appiah (a friend from Reading) firstly to Accra and then on to the Ashanti Region where we will be visiting Amankwatia, a village community which is being supported by Wesley Methodist Church in Reading.  More on that later in the week, I hope.

This morning was taken up with the distribution of Holy Communion to those who are unable to come to church.  All in all, Joseph and I visited about 30 people over the course of the morning, in a variety of situations, including those in basic housing in very poor surroundings.  I certainly feel that I have seen some extremes and I would ask for your prayers for those whose personal means leave them striving for life itself every day.  Yet, their faith is strong and a humbling example.

No comments:

Post a Comment