Wednesday 14 May 2014

Farewell to Winneba

Three weeks ago, I was just about to leave home for my journey to Ghana and here to Winneba.  It seems a long time ago now so I spent a while last night reading through my daily journal, in order to recount the many experiences which I have encountered during that time.  It has been a rich time in terms of personal experiences and sharing the deep-rooted faith of Christians in this culture.  Although yesterday was my last day in Winneba, there was still some time to see the church in action in another way.


Back to school

Yesterday marked the re-opening of school after the Easter holiday, which has been going on all the time I have been here.  I was able to visit the two Methodist Junior High Schools in Winneba and then two Elementary Schools which share the same site.  It being the first day back, some students were sitting a mock exam paper whilst others (particularly the older students in the Elementary Schools) were cleaning and tidying the school premises and grounds for the start of the new term. 


Junior High students
sitting a mock exam

School re-opening at Elementary School;
cutting the grass on the first day back














With the various educational connections in my own family, I was warmly welcomed into all the classrooms.  The facilities are basic by UK standards but there was an appetite to learn and most students appeared to be pleased to be back in school after the break.

After the visits, it was time to focus on my own studies as a report on me has to be provided by my hosts, so I spent the next few hours talking with my supervisor about my experiences, something I was also able to share with Bishop John later in the evening after my evening meal of fish and [yam] chips!

Overwhelmed

I am now moving onto the last week of my stay here and to visit the Ashanti region with a Ghanaian friend from the UK, so the last two days have been ones of many goodbyes.  In common with the sincere welcome I received three weeks ago, farewells were equally heartfelt because everyone has been so generous with their friendship.  Although I have only just started to get to know the congregation here, I was delighted and humbled to receive a number of gifts from them, mostly more African clothing. 
 

Wearing the smock given to me
by the congregation at
Ebenezer Methodist Cathedral,
Winneba

Any hope of getting my luggage under the allowance for the flight home has I think disappeared, even though I have passed on the gifts I brought from the UK (and some other items too).  


As an 'alternative' farewell, there was also another brief power cut last night, followed by heavy rain for a few hours.  The water supply is also off this morning, so my morning wash was courtesy of a bucket.


Onwards

With Stephen, I will be visiting Cape Coast today where there is a castle associated with the former West African slave trade, and thence to Accra this evening.  Tomorrow morning, we will be taking a short flight to Kumasi to begin our visit to Amankwatia, to discuss the project which Wesley Methodist Church in Reading is supporting.

Your prayers would be welcome as we journey together and then during the discussions over the following days.  I hope to update you in a couple of days.













No comments:

Post a Comment